It’s only reasonable that you demand to know the actual truth – is Cozumel safe? The news media does not paint an actual picture of Cozumel. I will not start saying “fake news” but let us show you the data!
The Actual TRUTH – Is Cozumel Safe?
Thousands of people visit sunny Cozumel each year and return home from a trouble-free trip. With a dose of common sense and some inside intel, you can too! I will examine everything you need to recognize. Despite the media headlines painting Mexico as a place rampant with corruption and drug disorder, my experience has been different. By choosing the same basic safeguards as you would travel anywhere (including metropolitan cities in the US), Cozumel is safe for you and your household. The Mexican government will not let millions of dollars slip through their network because the most prominent spots aren’t secure.
To be safe anywhere in the world, you must apply your common sense, be attentive to your surroundings, don’t wander down dark unlit streets alone, and place your treasures out of sight. You wouldn’t spot me strolling down a dark alley in Saint Louis MO, alone at night. Again, apply common sense. Street safety is an essential subject to cover if you enjoy exploring on foot. Compared to other places I’ve visited, Cozumel is nowhere near as high risk with street safety. That said, just always be mindful of what’s going on around you and act accordingly.
Scams in Mexico
Scams are a world-wide issue. I’ve had credit card fraud in the United States on more occasions than anywhere else in the world. Here are the scams to look out for in Cozumel:
- CASH MACHINES – This one is at the top of my list and by far the most prevalent. It’s never happened to me, but some tourists have fallen to this scam. Do not utilize random cash machines on the boulevard. Although they are accessible, they aren’t protected and observed by officials. Use cash machines at a bank to be extra secure. In Cozumel, there is no scarcity of banks to choose from, just be certain to notify your branch before leaving your home country so the card isn’t rejected or blocked.
- TAXIS – Many people worry about getting into taxis in an unfamiliar country. Once you learn the ins and outs of how taxis work in Cozumel your fears will be alleviated. Always agree on a cost before you get in the taxi this way both you and the driver are clear on how much it will cost before the trip commences. Most residents aren’t out to defraud you, but with a little care and being aware of who is around you will be secure.
- CURRENCY EXCHANGE – If you will bring cash along with you, just do your homework before you get here. Research the strongest exchange rates before you go to evade being ripped off. Many places accept USD, but if you go in a taxi or shopping in Cozumel, it’s suggested that you utilize the local currency (Mexican Pesos).
Is drinking alcohol in Mexico safe
A few years ago the US State Department warned travelers about possible tainted alcohol in Mexico, because a girl found deceased in a pool at a resort after a night of drinking. We’ve dealt with a lot of guests wondering how safe it is to indulge in their vacation margaritas. It’s justifiable to be concerned. Rule number one, drink responsibly! You should not avoid consuming alcohol in Mexico, but you should be cautious. As you will stay with us, pick a beach club with a great drinks selection boasting brands that you know and trust. I’ve encountered nothing evil but here are 9 top tips to remain safe on a night out:
- Insist on observing your drinks being made
- Consider bottled or canned drinks
- Buy your alcohol at a liquor store
- Never leave your drink unattended
- Don’t drink in the sun
- Drink enough water in between drinks
- Observe your surroundings
- If you feel ill seek medical attention
- Take out travel insurance
Drugs and Cartels
Mexico has a position for drug-related cases. None of us are alien to drug culture, specifically if you live in a big city. It’s just part of life. It’s an issue, but it appears everywhere. Whether you choose to call it gangs or cartels, it’s all the same. You don’t want to get tied up with these sketchy people. Avoid them at all costs and you will be fine. Back home if someone ran up to you on the highway and offered drugs you would say no. The same applies here.
Mexico is an amazing place where you can travel almost anywhere in the country via bus. It’s society’s main transport service. The ADO service is the finest one to use. The site is super simple to work and you can book your tickets in advance. There is a problem that has been going on now for some time. Do not use the overhead bin for your backpacks, purses, or luggage. At a stop, someone may “accidentally” take your bag from the overhead bin and others will not allow you to go forward by standing in your way. Keep your belongings by your feet while seated. It is a little uncomfortable, but you will prevent your bags from growing legs.
From sundown to sunrise it’s essential to look after yourself. If you are out with your companions or family just watch out for each other the same as you would at home. If you’re headed back to your hotel in a taxi try to do so in groups or at least pairs just in case one of you has had too much alcohol and requires a little extra support. Be mindful of your surroundings, keep your eyes peeled, and be sure to mention anything questionable. Don’t wander off alone at night and always go in well-lit areas.
It will please you to recognize that Cozumel is very LGBTQ friendly. Cozumel has developed into a sanctuary for gay couples who choose to get married and require an ultimate wedding destination.
Nature is a force in the Caribbean. Things got very exciting in 2020 with hurricanes in the state this year. After previous catastrophes, the island is fully prepared to handle natural disasters and possesses the best hurricane shelters and state-of-the-art hospitals.
Because of Cozumel has a tropical climate mosquito-borne infections such as dengue fever and chikungunya are a risk. Speak to your doctor well in advance to prepare and have the correct precautions before your trip. Avoid getting bitten altogether by bringing bug spray with you. Cozumel can become hot, so preserve your skin with sunscreen. Try to use biodegradable bug spray and sunscreen as it undermines the coral reef systems when you go in the sea, plus it’s better for your body. Drink bottled water and make sure you drink plenty of it to stay hydrated in the heat. Now let me talk about the elephant in the room. COVID-19 is now with the human race forever. There will be cases in the population now till the end of time. Change your habits and take precautions whenever you can not social distance. Mask use must become the new norm. With simple precautions, we will protect ourselves.
Need Help to Book Your Vacation?
Safety is of our absolute priority. We live in Cozumel. Silvia and I respect the opinion of all travelers and our sole mission is to present you with all the tips and facts you require to ensure you have a marvelous vacation! We know the area, restaurants, and tours better than anyone. Our prices are great too! Need help to formulate your vacation? Book today here. We offer free advice and can save you tons of cash on your next holiday!